Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dinner of the month!

Julia and I have the pleasure of visiting my Mom and Aunt Darla weekly on Wednesdays for lunch. Both are amazing cooks, but my Aunt really has a passion for food.Lucky us! One week we chat about a Pasta Carbonara recipe she's recently come across.. Panchetta, onion, garlic, Parmesan, and egg yolk and pasta.. easy! Sounds delicious, but raw egg yolk.. hmm.. not sure if this will fly with my crew.. A few weeks later i am in a pinch with multiple kid activities in the same night and need dinner in a hurry. Naturally I need to go grocery shopping and have limited choices. But I do have a pound of bacon defrosted.. I think not panchetta, but a good substitute. We always have eggs! We bought 4 chicks in February to have fresh eggs! More on that later.. Anyway. I get to cooking. My house soon smells like heaven and my family is raving about the delicious dinner. My husband and son get home an hour later and truly enjoy the cold leftovers! 2 thumbs up here!

1lb bacon (or panchetta)
1 med onion
4 cloves or garlic
4 egg yolks
1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb pasta (I like the rotini - it's corkscrew shapes captures all the yummy bits!)

Fill a pasta pot full of water, add handful of salt to water, and set to boil. Once water boils add your pasta and cook 10-12 minutes.

While pasta water boils, cook the 'sauce'. Place a large skillet over medium heat add about 2 tbls spoons of olive oil. mince your onion and add to pan. Cook for a few minutes then add your garlic. As it cooks, cut your bacon into little squares and then add to the pan to crisp up. While your bacon cooks grate your cheese and separate your egg yolks for the whites. Remembering to stir your bacon onion and garlic every so often.

Once your pasta is cooked, drain and immediately, add to a serving dish and pour your yolks over it and begin to toss to coat. Add your cooked bacon mix and fresh cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment